A blogrus about regional slang - The online computery journal thingy of a turtle
Apr. 4th, 2008
09:58 pm - A blogrus about regional slang
Where did you grow up: Makeupmyownslangopolis
WHAT DO YOU CALL:
1. A body of water, smaller than a river, contained within relatively narrow banks.
2. The thing you push around the grocery store.
3. A metal container to carry a meal in.
4. The thing that you cook bacon and eggs in.
Roundie (or browndie if it's Teflon-coated)
5. The piece of furniture that seats three people.
6. The device on the outside of the house that carries rain off the roof.
Leafcatcher or spagglers (the two terms are interchangeable)
7. The covered area outside a house where people sit in the evening.
8. Carbonated, sweetened, non-alcoholic beverages.
X-Fizlo, for example "dark-fizlo" is cola or Dr Pepper, "light-fizlo" is Sprite or 7-Up, "or-fizlo" is orange soda; if more specific terms are required, "C-Fizlo" is Coke, "P-Fizlo" is Pepsi, and "DI-Fizlo" is Dr. Iggy, the Dr Pepper knockoff at Food Iguana
9. A flat, round breakfast food served with syrup.
Eathat (pronounced either "eat-hat" or "eat-that")
10. A long sandwich designed to be a whole meal in itself.
Uster (short for bellyb-uster)
11. The piece of clothing worn by men at the beach.
12. Shoes worn for sports.
Strapdiddles or squeakers (the latter esp. for basketball)
13. Putting a room in order.
Donna Reeding up the place
14. A flying insect that glows in the dark.
15. The little insect that curls up into a ball.
Curl-Up, after Escher
16. The children's playground equipment where one kid sits on one side and goes up while the other sits on the other side and goes down.
17. How do you eat your pizza?
With a spoon and chopsticks
18. What's it called when private citizens put up signs and sell their used stuff?
19. What's the evening meal?
20. The thing under a house where the furnace and perhaps a rec room are?
21. What do you call the thing that you can get water out of to drink in public places?